Wilbur Schult started in Elkhart, IN, in 1933 as a dealer for Covered Wagon Trailers and in 35 became the national distributor for Sportsman trailers also in Elkhart. In March of 36 he bought the Sportsman Trailer Company from its founder, Milo Miller, and changed the name to Schult Trailer Coach which quickly grew to be the largest manufacturer in the world by 1940 with several plants in the US and also in Canada and New Zealand. Miller went on to start both the Elcar and National trailer companies also.
In 1934 Walter O. Wells and Wilbur Schult opened a shop in Ekhart with 20 carpenters and produced their first Schult trailer. Wilbur Schult was credited as the first man to begin RV manufacturing.
By April of 1937, Schult had 2 plants in Elkhart with over 250,000 combined square feet of manufacturing space and had created a division in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. He produced over 1500 trailers in 1937. He continued his dramatic growth and opened a division in Christchurch, New Zealand making him perhaps the first manufacturer producing units in three countries and on two continents.
Schult Trailers produced many industry innovations. That was the first manufacturer to extend his units standard width from 7 1/2 to a full 8 feet and the first to offer 7’ feet ceilings. That was the first manufacturer to build a full steel frame under his entry level products. Schult Trailers designed and installed an optional full trailer “air conditioning system” which circulated air over a vault of ice to cool the trailer.
1938 Continental Clipper was so remarkable that its owners included King Farouk of Egypt who later sold it to a Maharaja in India.
Schult also built the trailers for the famed 1947 Gatti-Hallicrafters African Expedition.
In 1957, the Schult Trailer Company evolved into the Schult Mobile Home Company and turned its attention completely to the manufactured housing. This company continues today as Schult Homes.
Manufactured since 1936 and continue today as Schult Homes.