Hi-Lo Trailer Company, Inc. was founded in 1955 as Snyder's Hi-Lo Trailers. In 1957 they dropped the “Snyder's” and became Hi-Lo Trailer Company, Inc.
They have been located in north central Ohio, building the worlds only telescoping travel trailer ever since, after the demise of the similar Tow-Low.
Hi-Lo Trailer Company, Inc. 500 S Main Street Bellville, OH 44813 Phone: (419) 886-0066 Fax: (419) 886-0099
When Wade F.B. Thompson and Peter B. Orthwein purchased Airstream in 1980, they had been involved in the recreational vehicle business for only three years. In 1977, the two entrepreneurs had combined their marketing and financial expertise to purchase HI-LO Trailer, a small player in the industry. Under their leadership, HI-LO prospered, and the two looked around for a bigger opportunity. Airstream was an obvious target.
Combining the first two letters of their last names, Thompson and Orthwein formed Thor Industries, Inc. in order to acquire Airstream.
Original ads and pictures available at http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/hiloimages.html
Hi-lo trailer has an upper half (slightly larger than the lower half) that can be lowered down over the lower half to a total height of about five feet for reduced wind resistance during travel and smaller storage requirements; these otherwise contain everything other travel trailers have (except for a full-height closet).
Kevin in NC with a 1967 HiLo Wander. john & tammy nc with a 1964 snyder hilo voyager.